- Our Approach
- Our Impact
- Our Portfolio
- Apply for Financing
- Invest in Media Development
- About us
- Board of Directors
- MDIF Team
- Contact us
Myanmar Media Program
Myanmar Media Program (Phase 2)
MDIF is implementing a unique media development program for independent media institutions in Myanmar called the Myanmar Media Program (MMP). The first phase of the program ran from November 2015-June 2019. The current phase runs from July 2019 to December 2022.
MMP is an initiative designed to increase the prospects for the sustainability of the media sector in the country by improving the business and management capacity of independent media.
The current phase of the program will run on two tracks.
The first, more intensive track, will support 12 independent media organizations through a long-term coaching program tailor-made to fit the specific business capacity building needs of each of the participating media.
The second track, for 24 independent media divided into two groups, will be a less intensive workshop-based capacity building program designed to build their business and management capacity.
The goal of MMP is to increase the ability of participating media to provide audiences with reliable news and information and contribute to the development of a strong and financially sustainable independent media sector in Myanmar.
Our coaches and other specialist technical assistance providers are almost all senior Southeast Asian media executives. Funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), the program is practical in approach, designed to provide participants with tools and skills to implement strategies and plans for growth.
Selection criteria for media to participate
- Committed to providing credible, independent news, information or public interest debate.
- Independent from the government or of any other political or economic interest group.
- Supportive of democratic practices and institutions, political pluralism, transparency, human rights, including the rights of women and minorities, and inter-ethnic coexistence.
- Legally registered, except in extraordinary circumstances.
- In regular operation for at least one year. A record of quality journalism and reporting. In compelling circumstances this requirement may be waived.
- Committed to developing a path to financial sustainability.
- Prepared to commit sufficient time to work with coaches/mentors and carry out assigned tasks.
Additional criteria for media to be considered for Track 1
- Provision of an organizational chart
- Timely provision throughout the program of monthly cash flow/income statements
Media that meet the above criteria and wish to be considered for participation in MDIF’s Myanmar Media Program are requested to complete the application form here before August 1, 2019.
Please note that the places are limited and we may not be able to accommodate all applications even if they fulfill all criteria.
Visit the FAQ section for more information about the program.
New York, 10 December 2015: Media Development Investment Fund today announced the launch of a $2.4 million capacity building program for media in Myanmar funded by Sweden.
The program will provide tailored capacity building support to a select group of independent media companies to help them develop the media management skills necessary to establish financially sustainable quality news businesses.
“This is an exciting yet also challenging time in Myanmar, not least for the media,” said MDIF CEO Harlan Mandel. “Our program will help key independent news outlets respond more effectively to the rapidly evolving political – and media – landscape.”