won six prizes at the Standard Bank Sikuvile Awards, South Africa’s leading prize recognising excellence in journalism. At an awards ceremony on 28 August, their journalists won in the following categories:
- Analysis and Commentary: Mia Malan for the story “Abduction”
- Creative Journalism: Tanya Pamplone for the story “Confessions of a Walmart Shopper”
- Editorial Cartoon: Jonathan Shapiro for “Mac Maharaj side order”
- Online Multimedia: Demelza Bush and Nickolaus Bauer for “Marching for Malema”
- Joel Mervis award for Layout, typography and pictures – Joint winners with City Press
As a result, Nic Dawes was again named Editor of the Year.
Read more about the awards and the prize-winning stories.