- Our Approach
- Our Impact
- Our Portfolio
- Apply for Financing
- Invest in Media Development
- About us
- Board of Directors
- MDIF Team
- Contact us
MDIF clients win awards in recognition of the quality and importance of their reporting
MDIF clients and their staff continue to uphold high journalistic standards, producing pioneering news reports and innovations that make an impact on their countries or regions. Since the beginning of the year, their outstanding work earned them at least 17 different awards and professional recognitions, at international or national level.
In particular, clients have been collecting prizes at an amazing rate in recent weeks, including the following:
- Gazeta Wyborcza photojournalist Sławomir Kamiński was presented with the main award in the Grand Press Photo 2019 prize, as well as winning in the Events category.
Children’s Radio Foundation, South Africa
- SAMIP participant Children’s Radio Foundation landed third place at the World Digital Media Awards in the category for Best Innovation to Engage Youth Audiences for their WhatsApp Radio Integration project.
- Malaysiakini’s live coverage of the 14th general election in May 2018 won the Excellence in Reporting Breaking News Award from the Society of Publishers in Asia.
- CEO Maria Ressa was presented with the 2019 Columbia Journalism Award “for the depth and quality of her work, as well as her courage and persistence in the field”, with the APARC 2019 Shorenstein Journalism Award for her contribution to greater understanding of Asia, and with the Canadian Journalism Foundation Tribute award for “courage and conviction in holding the powerful to account, for upholding the press freedom democracy depends on”.
- The seven-part investigative story ‘Murder in Manila’ received the Excellence in Human Rights Reporting Award and Excellence in Investigative Reporting Award from the Society of Publishers in Asia.
- Scroll’s Eco India, a solutions-focused web series highlighting environmental initiatives produced in collaboration with Germany’s public international broadcaster Deutsche Welle, was awarded the intermedia globe silver prize in the “Documentaries: Sustainability” category at the World Media Festivals.