Over the last year, MDIF clients provided news and information to over 68.6 million people in countries where access to free and independent media is under threat, while generating a combined $92.4 million in sales. The Impact Dashboard 2015 found that after five years of working with MDIF, client businesses grew their reach by a median of 34% and their sales by 115%.
It also found that clients ranging from local news websites to national broadcasters had a profound impact on their societies through reporting on corruption and government accountability. Across our portfolio, in 2014 85% of clients exposed corruption scandals in their country and 79% held government leaders accountable for their policy promises.
- After five years of working with MDIF, client reach increased by a median of 34% (on average by 188%)
- From 2013 to 2014, clients increased their total reach by a median of 1% (on average by 37%)
- After five years of working with MDIF, clients increased their sales by a median of 115% (mean of 240%)
- Clients saw a median annual growth rate of 21% (CAGR) during their first five years working with MDIF
- Median risk rating across the portfolio was 5.29 in 2014, a 1.45% increase from 2013 but still within the moderate risk range
- Low risk clients made up 37% of our portfolio in 2014, down from 42% in 2013
Client Impacts on Society
- In 2014, 85% of our clients reported on corruption scandals in their country
- In 2014, 79% of our clients held their governments accountable for their policy promises